Charlogy Online

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Kill Bailey: The Killers' Hidden Inspiration

Not especially topical but I've been pushed recently to post something new, so here we go.

Much has been made of the major influences of top indie-pop act The Killers. While their breakthrough debut Hot Fuss seemed reminiscent of Duran Duran, listeners have also commented on shades of Bruce Springsteen on their follow-up Sam's Town.

But what of the Las Vegas band's unexpected debt to a much older musical tradition - yes, Cockney Music Hall. Don't believe me? Have a look at this verse from Mr. Brightside:

Now they're going to bed
And my stomach is sick
And it's all in my head
But she's touching his...
Chest, now...

Classic music hall there, the off-colour scenario, the saucy second line set-up building to the eventual pay-off ("What did you think we were going to say?") All that's missing in fact is the Frankie Howerd moment, chiding the listener for thinking naughty things in the first place.

It's a cheeky vaudeville touch, a bit of playground doggerel that would play well on the back seats of school buses anywhere. When The Killers start ending their sets with I'm Henery the Eighth I Am, you'll know I'm right. And if Bill Bailey picks this up on his next stage tour, remember you read it here first.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Killers as vaundeville act? Whatever next? Muse as Morris dancers?

Actually, I quite like the Killers, especially Read my Mind which the Pet Shop Boys did a sterling remix of.

9:43 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to have the Charlogy back online despite the surprising 4 months' break. Perhaps even more surprising is that there are still those of us hooked enough to regularly check the site for updates. That shows the lengths to which real fans of something will go to!

9:58 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't want to comment, but the compulsion is so...well...compelling.

10:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home